You can read updates about Jessica’s condition here:
Just read in my email that Jessica Hulcy was in a serious car accident. Here is what I know:
Dear family and friends,
Jessica’s Ford Explorer was broadsided in Melissa, TX about 11:30 on Monday morning. We think she was hit by a volunteer fire truck responding to an accident. After a 25 minute extrication process she was Life Flighted as a level 1 (the most severe) trauma case to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.
She is still in critical condition. Here is what we know so far:
1. She is still unconscious but is moving all four limbs and attempting to pull the tubes out of her throat which is encouraging to the doctors.
2. Major Lung trauma, punctures to both lungs. Both were collapsed. One is now working well and they are still draining the other. Doctors are checking for possible damage to wind pipe and trachea.
3. Head trauma. Medium amounts of blood on the brain. Closely monitoring
this to see if it improves. Surgery not necessary now, but possible to come.
4. As of now multiple broken ribs on both sides, broken left wrist, broken
left arm in 2 places. Will require surgery. Possible broken left leg and right
wrist. She has undergone 4 hrs of X-rays, over 1000 X-rays taken so far. They
are working the broken bones in the order of most life threatening so there is a possibility of more discovery of broken bones.
We will be sending out another email as soon as we know more. Thank-you for your prayers.
And an update, found at homeschooling.about.com
- These are updates from her sons…
Friends and Family,
Thanks so much for all of the kind texts, calls and emails. It is wonderful support during this tough time.
I was just in to see her and she was awake. She was squeezing my hand and could show 2 fingers upon command. She has always had a fear of not being able to breathe, more than the average bear, so please pray specifically for her to be at peace with her condition, as much as possible. The right lung is still draining blood but to my untrained eye it looks like less. The broken bones are making it hard to get X-rays of the back walls of her organs and chest cavity. We are told that she will most likely undergo surgery to repair the left arm so that she can be rolled over in order to X-ray her from the back. She might have some injuries to her neck, but we are not clear on that for now.
Will be sending more updates as info becomes available.